Inflammatory Bowel Disease: Fight with Probiotics

by | Apr 9, 2015 | Health Conditions, Probiotic Blog

Probiotics may be beneficial in patients suffering with inflammatory bowel disease. By producing inhibitory substances, blocking adhesion sites, competing for essential nutrients, degrading toxic receptors, stimulating immunity, and promoting gut integrity if you suffer from IBD, probiotics may help. Inflammatory Bowel Disease entails digestive tract chronic inflammation and chiefly involves Crohn’s disease (CD) and ulcerative colitis (UC). Both normally include severe pain, diarrhea, weight loss and fatigue. IBD can sometimes be debilitating and may lead to more serious health complications.

Inflammatory Bowel Disease tears-down, while Probiotics build-up!

This idiopathic disease is mainly caused by deregulated immune response to host intestinal microflora. Hence, the two main types of IBD are UC and CD, which affects the gastrointestinal tract from the mouth to the anus. In fact, there is a genetic predisposition for inflammatory bowel disease in which patients are more prone to malignancy development.

An article in the Clinical Nutrition Journal shares that the gut microbiota significantly helps in the persistence and development of inflammatory bowel disease. The manipulation of this through specific antibiotics can be a great therapeutic strategy. Patients may then take probiotics in order to re-establish lenience to microbial antigens.

With 37 trillion cells within the body, 90% is composed of microbiota cells while the remaining 10% comprise the body. Hence, the metabolism of gut-bacteria is accountable for essential substances’ conversion into metabolites. The intestinal microorganisms help in the synthesis of vitamins such as calcium, iron and magnesium absorption.

The therapeutic approach, when it comes to patients suffering from IBD, is mucosal healing and symptomatic care which follows a step-by-step approach through escalation of the medication until there is relief achieved. Although there are some laboratory studies which can aide this disease, there is still no specific lab test that can definitely establish a diagnosis for IBD.

Inflammatory Bowel Disease is truly an uncomfortable ailment that produces symptoms such as irregular bowel patterns, cramping and the growth of abscesses and fistulas. Taking probiotics is an easy way to promote healthy gut activity and help your body regain essential nutrients.

People who liked this blog also read these:

About the Author

Dr. Shawn Benzinger, D.C., DABCO, FIAMA

Co-Founder, CEO | Dr. Benzinger is a certified Chiropractic Orthopedist, Acupuncturist, and Nutritionist with a passion to help people live healthier, self-sufficient lives. He has served as a national spokesperson and talk show host on areas relating to nutrition, chronic pain, and alternative health care for over 20 years. Dr. Benzinger regularly consults on musculo-skeletal and nutritional management for elite athletes across the country, and he has been working to help educate the Indianapolis community on nutrition and chronic pain for the last 36 years.