Probonix for Newborns, Infants, Toddlers, and Children is a liquid probiotic supplement that is used to repopulate the gut with healthy bacteria. This is important because healthy bacteria help the body in a variety of ways, including crowding out bad bacteria, supporting immune system functions, and aiding indigestion. Why would your child need this? Well, not everyone is born with the same levels of healthy bacteria in their body. Babies that are born via Cesarean section and babies that are not breastfed are more likely to have lower numbers of healthy bacteria than desired. Children on antibiotics in particular benefit greatly from probiotic supplements, like antibiotics, kill off both good and bad bacteria in the gut. Supplementing with Probonix will help your child reach a healthy balance of bacteria in the gut, leading to a healthier immune system, better digestion, and lower chances of long-term GI health issues.
Don’t you already have a children’s formula? Why an advanced formula?
Not all children are created equally, and the same is true for their guts. While our normal Probonix for Newborns, Infants, Toddlers, and Children is great for the developing gut of a typical child, some children are troubled with more specific GI issues that could benefit from a more targeted solution. Our advanced formula is just that. Through a partnership with pediatrician Dr. Abdulhalim Elsabbagh, M.D., and the medical team at Humarian, we developed an advanced children’s formula specifically aimed at helping children with chronic diarrhea, constipation, and Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).
What makes the advanced formula better at dealing with these specific issues?
There are some key differences in the formulation for Children’s Probonix Advanced specifically aimed at addressing diarrhea, constipation, and IBS. It features:
- A nearly 300% increase in L. rhamnosus over the base children’s formula. L. rhamnosus has been proven to provide benefits to children with acute infectious diarrhea1 as well as diarrhea caused by rotavirus.2 L. rhamnosus has also been shown to alleviate some symptoms of IBS.3
- A 500% increase in L. reuteri over the base children’s formula. L. reuteri is effective as a therapeutic agent in alleviating watery diarrhea induced by rotavirus.4,5 It has also been shown to reduce constipation and increase frequency of bowel movements.6
- A 1000% increase in B. bifidum over the base children’s formula. B. bifidum can help to relieve constipation and diarrhea commonly associated with common gastrointestinal conditions.7 More importantly, B. bifidum can significantly improve symptoms associated with IBS.8
- Two probiotic strains not found in the normal children’s formula, S. thermophilus and L. casei subsp. casei. S. thermophilus was added for its ability to destroy pathogens like E. coli, Salmonella, and Shigella. All of these pathogens are associated with different forms of infectious diarrhea. L. casei subsp. casei has been added primarily to help manage chronic constipation.9 Studies have also proven that it can aid in the prevention of C. difficile diarrhea,10 and it can help to counteract some of the pro-inflammatory effects of E. coli in Crohn’s disease-associated diarrhea.11
In addition to the changes in specific strains and concentrations, Probonix for Newborns, Infants, Toddlers, and Children Advanced has double the CFU count of regular Children’s Probonix. This allows the Advanced formula to deliver a much more concentrated dose of probiotics to the gut in order to more quickly and efficiently combat diarrhea, constipation, and symptoms of IBS.
Does that mean my kid needs to be on both Probonix for Newborns, Infants, Toddlers, and Children and Children’s Probonix Advanced?
Absolutely not! Children’s Probonix Advanced is specially designed to help children with specific GI issues, but it also offers most of the same benefits that regular Probonix for Newborns, Infants, Toddlers, and Children offers. Your child will only need to take one or the other.
How do I know if I should switch my child from Probonix for Newborns, Infants, Toddlers, and Children to Children’s Probonix Advanced?
Does your child suffer from regular bouts of diarrhea, constipation, or IBS? If so, then yes, you should consider switching to the enhanced formula. It will help your child with those conditions more effectively than the normal children’s formula. If your child does not suffer from these issues, feel free to stay with the standard Probonix for Newborns, Infants, Toddlers, and Children formula.
People who liked this blog also read these:
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions About Probonix for Newborns, Infants, Toddlers, and Children
- Probiotics can help to prevent diarrhea in infants
- Constipation is common among children